Minimalistic 2021

Minimalistic 2021
Minimalistic 2021
(SCROLL DOWN FOR THE TIMELY UPDATES)

Happy Happy New Year (I'm a little late but finally here!) 

I don't make new year resolutions or resolutions at all. They never work for me and also if I have a goal to achieve I would do it despite the date on the calender. 

I have been practicing minimalism on and off for about three years now. Minimalism is a part of not only my wardrobe or finance but also my personal life. Over the span of three years, I have incorporated minimalism in my digital, physical and mental space. But I am still far away from being a minimalist. It is a journey that I feel after three years has just started. And with this big step that I plan to take I will or at least I hope will reach one of its destinations. 

My aim for this year is to sincerely take up the challenge to build on the journey that I have selected. This year 2021 is a "NO BUY YEAR" for me. It sounds very daunting, and honestly it is. A NO BUY YEAR is exactly what is sounds like. Not buying anything. And of course it is not possible to not spend your money on any single thing, but I have made a few categories for myself. 

But before that I want to let you my reasons for taking this absolutely maniac challenge. 

1. Testing my patience and self-control. I am pretty impatient and I definitely give into the temptation quickly. I could try doing meditation, but no that hasn't worked for me, so here's my shot at trying to venture on this route. To not give into the temptation of the capitalist market. 
 
2. Saving the planet. A year of no buying won't do much at large, but it least it is something that I can say is my own little contribution. Fast fashion is one of the chief contributor to environment degradation, with 85% of textile waste filling up the landfills and the second largest industry that consumers water worldwide. Adding to it, the fashion industry is responsible for 10% of humanity’s carbon emissions. And the list could go on for an hour. 

3. Building up the money bag. Kinda a no brainier, but it's one of the by-product of this torturous journey. 

4. Feeling self sufficient. It is one of the major reason is to prove to myself that things, clothing, and physical items won't make me happy. I could come out of this year feeling just as happy without spending on things that I can live without. 

5. BASICALLY I AM DOING FOR THE CLOUT (jk) 

The primary focus for this year is to not buy anything but specifically clothing. I could perfectly do a year or actually two buying no new piece of item. Of course it doesn't apply to the more essential pieces of clothing, but that's a given. Also, I don't wear makeup or jewellery so that shouldn't be tough and yes that is off limits too. No electronics. No books. No cute decor items or candles. No anything.

There's not much to say right now I can only let you know after a year how this experience was. So go subscribe to always be on track with my blog posts. 

UPDATE 1: 18.02.2021 (48th day)

Haven’t bought anything yet other than a few snacks and food stuff. Which I think is acceptable for now, but I’ll soon try to limit that as well. 

I still don’t feel the need to buy any clothing until I can donate and get rid of the massive mountain of clothes that I already have and don’t wear. It can’t be done all at once, and also I need to inspect each piece to see if I gravitate towards it and can add to my wardrobe or toss it. The next step will be to figure out my style in the time I don’t buy and see that if that kind of styling sticks with me till the time I can go and buy stuff. Because I always end up buying things that I don’t like, so the period of abstinence from buying will only add more value to when I can go get stuff. 

As for essential clothing, I need socks, but it’s going to be summer soon so I can stretch the buying for a few more months. 

Products that I use daily like shampoos and lip balms all these have had a history of being abandoned mid way if I buy a new product. I’m almost nearing the end of the ones I have currently, but I swear not to buy them until I toss them into the bin. 
I have also tried to cut down the variety of products that I use to the bare minimum that does the job well. Mostly because I can’t have a 30 minute night time skin care routine that only makes 0.003% difference to my skin. I also choose to invest in the biggest sizes so that I don’t have to keep repurchasing and it lowers the plastic consumption wherever possible.  

UPDATE 2: 06.03.2021 

I did buy personal hygiene products, but only what is essential and also just singles. I was tempted by bath and body works's sale but I'm so glad I didn't give in. 

I bought a navy blue top a few reasons; I replaced it with two of my existing pieces of clothing and I genuinely like it and I could see myself using it. My wardrobe count target is still 30 items that I reuse repeatedly, but it is slowly coming into formation.

Got a hairbrush because the current one isn't soft on the hair and caused a lot of hair fall. I hope it will last a while. 

Also, I found three pairs of almost new socks. Although they aren't my preferred style, I'm relieved I don't have to buy them anytime soon.

Comments

  1. Could you share your progress step by step and your feelings with us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I am going to start a minimalism series with all the details :) Thanks for reading and being involved.

      Delete
    2. I decided to do the timely updates on this post itself so you can always check on here!

      Delete
  2. I wish everyone would try so hard to reduce plastic consumption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! For once people should think about themselves as a part of a community and not just individuals.

      Delete

Post a Comment

POPULAR POSTS